Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I found this unbelievably simple, delicious recipe on the internet - unfortunately, I don't remember which site it came from. This recipe works with any size corned beef - I've just included the size I last bought to comply with 'Zaar's posting requirements. Edited to incorporate suggestion in Peter J's review below.
- Simply cover silverside with a mixture of ketchup and mustard.
- Roll in dried onion soup mix.
- Place in crock pot.
- Sprinkle any remaining onion soup mix over.
- Top with onion.
- Add water to just cover meat.
- Cook on low for 12 - 24 hours.
- Slice, serve and enjoy, maybe with sauce in crock pot used as a base to make gravy.
The biggest problem with this recipe Sussan is the meat is so tender it's just about impossible to get out of the crock-pot in one piece. Don't count on being able to serve it in sliced form! I used a generous amount of Dijon mustard and it was delicious. One change I made however was to cover the meat with water as I felt otherwise it could stick and be too salty. I used 18 hours cooking time for a medium sized piece of silverside and it was spot on.