Recipe by ~Nimz~
This is absolutely the best dressing I have ever had and so simple to make. Put it in the crock pot and forget it. Hope you enjoy (Update) I have also made this with Rita's Corn Bread with Jalapeno & Cheddar Cheese Cornbread With Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese and just left out the cheddar cheese and it turned out great)Update: I omitted the salt after SusieD's review. Just add to your liking. I have recently made this and added chopped up chicken to it and it's excellent.
Top Review by CaramelPie
I tried this today and loved it! I was lazy and used Kroger cornbread stuffing mix for the cornbread and 4 whole wheat hamburger buns for the bread. I had some dehydrated chopped onions and celery, and used that instead of fresh. I used the poultry seasoning and no added salt. I also threw in a couple of large cans of chopped, cooked chicken breast, rinsed and drained. It could easily pass as my family's usual holiday dressing! Thanks for such an easy and good recipe!
- 6 cups cornbread, . (cooked, The box cornbread mixes such as jiffy will make this sweeter)
- 8 slices day old bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sage or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans turkey broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay your bread out on the counter the night before you prepare the dressing so that it will dry.
- Crumble the breads.
- Add all other ingredients except butter. Salt to taste.
- Pour into a sprayed crock pot.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.