This is absolutely the best dressing I have ever had and so simple to make. Put it in the crock pot and forget it. Hope you enjoy (Update) I have also made this with Rita's Corn Bread with Jalapeno & Cheddar Cheese Cornbread With Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese and just left out the cheddar cheese and it turned out great)Update: I omitted the salt after SusieD's review. Just add to your liking. I have recently made this and added chopped up chicken to it and it's excellent.
- 6 cups cornbread, . (cooked, The box cornbread mixes such as jiffy will make this sweeter)
- 8 slices day old bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sage or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans turkey broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Lay your bread out on the counter the night before you prepare the dressing so that it will dry.
- Crumble the breads.
- Add all other ingredients except butter. Salt to taste.
- Pour into a sprayed crock pot.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
I tried this today and loved it! I was lazy and used Kroger cornbread stuffing mix for the cornbread and 4 whole wheat hamburger buns for the bread. I had some dehydrated chopped onions and celery, and used that instead of fresh. I used the poultry seasoning and no added salt. I also threw in a couple of large cans of chopped, cooked chicken breast, rinsed and drained. It could easily pass as my family's usual holiday dressing! Thanks for such an easy and good recipe!
I totally love this dressing. It was a blessing to free up my oven on Thanksgiving and it tastes every bit as good as what I used to bake in the oven. I do add more celery. dried parsley and poultry seasoning along with the sage because it seemed a little bland for us. Otherwise, I follow the recipe exactly and it always comes out moist and delicious. Thanks Nimz for one of the best recipes I've ever found online!
I love,love thid recipe.It is so easy to make, even if you have to half the recipe it is easy !!!I make this at every holiday and usually every other month as well.It is so moist and tasty.Thank you for giving me such a great recipe.