This is absolutely the best dressing I have ever had and so simple to make. Put it in the crock pot and forget it. Hope you enjoy (Update) I have also made this with Rita's Corn Bread with Jalapeno & Cheddar Cheese Cornbread With Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese and just left out the cheddar cheese and it turned out great)Update: I omitted the salt after SusieD's review. Just add to your liking. I have recently made this and added chopped up chicken to it and it's excellent.
- 6 cups cornbread, . (cooked, The box cornbread mixes such as jiffy will make this sweeter)
- 8 slices day old bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sage or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans turkey broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Lay your bread out on the counter the night before you prepare the dressing so that it will dry.
- Crumble the breads.
- Add all other ingredients except butter. Salt to taste.
- Pour into a sprayed crock pot.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.