Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Clam Chowder for the Crock Pot (or not)
Make and share this Crock Pot Clam Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork or 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 potatoes, pared and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- Saute pork or bacon and onion until golden brown;drain.
- Put clams in crock pot with bacon.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except milk or half-and-half.
- Cover and cook on High 3-4 hours.
- Add 1 cup milk or half-and-half and cornstarch last hour of cooking.
- Add remaining milk or half and half before serving.
- STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS: Place all ingredients EXCEPT milk and cornstarch in kettle.
- Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch into milk and add to kettle.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Heat to warm, then serve.
Fabulous! I added a cup of chopped celery (a standard for me), 1 clove of garlic, 1 T butter, and a couple of extra potatoes. Lovely, thick, rich and tasty!!
Restaurant quality! I used 3 cans of clams instead of 2 and was perfect!! Not sure why others have said it was salty. Even using all the clam juice I still had to add salt. Maybe the salt pork is saltier than bacon? The 2 T of cornstarch was better for me because it made it the perfect consistency. I also used half and half, not milk. I've done this in crock pot and stove top and it turned out better on stove top. I don't think things thicken up as well in the crock pot. GREAT clam chowder and so simple!
Very good chowder! I added about half the salt and still found it a bit salty for my tastes so would add less next time. I used clam broth rather than water, so that may have been the reason for the saltiness.