Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is from Southern U.S. Cuisine. It makes a lot and freezes well.
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams with juice
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork or 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 -8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half cream or 4 cups milk
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- chopped fresh parsley
- In skillet, saute salt pork or bacon and onion until golden brown; drain. Put into slow cooker with clams. Add all remaining ingredients, except milk, cornstarch, except parsley.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours or until vegetables are tender. During the last hour of cooking, combine 1 cup of milk with the cornstarch. Add cornstarch mixture and the remaining milk and stir well; heat through. Remove Bay Leaf before serving.
- Top each serving with a little chopped parsley and serve with Oyster crackers or crusty French bread.