Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
I finally got a crock pot so I decided to try a recipe for Chulnt. It's a hearty mix of Beef, Beans, and Barley. Great on a cold rainy night with fresh baked bread.
- 1 1⁄2 cups great northern beans
- 2 lbs stew beef chunks
- 1 lb beef short rib (or flanken with bones)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 3 cups hot water (extra as needed)
- 3⁄4 cup white grape juice or 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup barley
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- Clean and place great northern bean in water to soak for approximately 2 hours.
- About 30 minutes before soaking time is complete, sprinkle salt and pepper on beef.
- In a skillet, brown the beef on all sides.
- Place great northern bean on bottom of 4-6 quart crock pot.
- Place browned meat over the beans.
- Dissolve the bouillon cubes and soup mix in the 3 cups hot water.
- Pour the broth and grape juice over the beans and beef.
- Add as much hot or boiling water as needed to completely cover both beans and beef.
- Add 1-2 cups more hot water.
- Let cook on low for 5-6 hours until beans are tender.
- Mix in tomato paste, drained garbanzo beans and barley.
- Cook for 2-3 more hours until barley is tender.
- You may need to add more water if barley isn't tender and cook for 30 more minutes.
Anytime I have had or made Chulnt, It was never red or tasted like tomatoe sauce. This recipe has way to much tomatoe paste. It is not a traditional or what I would call Chulnt.