9 hrs 15 mins
8 hrs 30 mins
I finally got a crock pot so I decided to try a recipe for Chulnt. It's a hearty mix of Beef, Beans, and Barley. Great on a cold rainy night with fresh baked bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups great northern beans
- 2 lbs stew beef chunks
- 1 lb beef short rib (or flanken with bones)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 3 cups hot water (extra as needed)
- 3/4 cup white grape juice or 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1/2-3/4 cup barley
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1Clean and place great northern bean in water to soak for approximately 2 hours.
- 2About 30 minutes before soaking time is complete, sprinkle salt and pepper on beef.
- 3In a skillet, brown the beef on all sides.
- 4Place great northern bean on bottom of 4-6 quart crock pot.
- 5Place browned meat over the beans.
- 6Dissolve the bouillon cubes and soup mix in the 3 cups hot water.
- 7Pour the broth and grape juice over the beans and beef.
- 8Add as much hot or boiling water as needed to completely cover both beans and beef.
- 9Add 1-2 cups more hot water.
- 10Let cook on low for 5-6 hours until beans are tender.
- 11Mix in tomato paste, drained garbanzo beans and barley.
- 12Cook for 2-3 more hours until barley is tender.
- 13You may need to add more water if barley isn't tender and cook for 30 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Chulnt
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.8
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.0 mg
- Sodium 554.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stew beef chunks