1/4 Photos of Crock Pot Christmas Bean and Turkey Soup
10 hrs 25 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
Christmas beans are large red and white lima beans. When cooked they have a chestnut like texture and a very creamy taste. My hubby grew some of these lovely beans last summer and they are delicious in this soup. I cooked this soup over night in my crock pot and the house smelled wonderful all night long! My crock pot holds 7 quarts which you need for this amount of soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large turkey thighs (bone in...skin on and seared in coconut oil)
- 1 lb beans (I used Christmas beans soaked for 8 hours)
- 24 cups chicken soup broth
- 2 celery ribs (chopped small)
- 4 medium potatoes (chopped small, I used Yukon Gold)
- 1/2 fennel bulb (chopped small)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon vegetable soup, bouillon (I used "better then bouillon" in the jar)
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh pepper (optional)
- 1Sear the turkey thighs until golden brown in coconut or other oil that can tolerate high heat. Once done discard the oil and pat the oil off the thighs with a paper towel.
- 2Drain the beans and discard the soak water.
- 3Put the seared turkey thighs in the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Give it a stir.
- 4Cook on low for 10 hours.
- 5Once the 10 hours is up, remove the turkey thighs and discard the bone and skin. If you like, add some of the meat back into the soup if you want. I didn't because some fell off the bone into the soup and it was plenty.
- 6If you want sprinkle a little more parsley in the soup. You can also add some salt if you wish, but I didn't as I felt the soup bouillon had enough in it.
- 7Serve with some crusty bread.
- 8Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Christmas Bean and Turkey Soup
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.7
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.6 mg
- Sodium 2740.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: