8 hrs 20 mins
My own variation of several recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs sauerkraut (not from a can)
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 granny smith apples, grated
- 8 juniper berries
- 8 ounces white wine
- 28 ounces low sodium chicken broth (or less)
- 2 lbs kielbasa, sliced 1/2-inch thick on the bias
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Drain sauerkraut well. Place in bottom of crock pot.
- 2Sauté bacon in hot skillet for 5 minutes. Add oil, onion and carrot, and sauté until onion is golden and soft.
- 3Stir bacon mixture and grated apple into sauerkraut.
- 4Add kielbasa to sauerkraut. (I use Hillshire Farms "Light" Kielbasa.) Tuck juniper and bouquet garni into cheesecloth and add to crock pot. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Add wine, and just enough chicken broth to cover.
- 5Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours. Remove cheesecloth, then stir in chopped parsley before serving.
- 6Serve with boiled potatoes and pumpernickel or dark rye bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Choucroute Garni
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.8
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 84.3 mg
- Sodium 2814.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: