Recipe by Julesong
This is an adopted recipe. Directions refer to a "bread insert." If you don't have the manufacturer's baking insert with a lid, you can use an 2 pound metal coffee can. Use a double thickness of paper towels as a can cover.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups zucchini, pureed or blended
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and shortening in mixer, beat in eggs one at a time, add vanilla. Add everything else and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased crock pot bread insert. Cook 3 hours on high, or until the bread tests done with a wooden pick.
- Let stand until it's medium cool to the touch before unmolding. Serve with butter. You can also dust the bread with powdered sugar.
- Possible modifications: no cocoa; substitute 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg for cocoa; substitute 1 cup brown sugar for the white sugar.