Recipe by Ridgely
The kids and I made this delicious dessert over the holidays. It turns out to be cakey on top with a layer of warm saucy chocolate on the bottom. Yum, it reaches all level of chocolate satisfaction. We did not wait for the recommended cooling time.
Top Review by Annette Smithe
Easy to make and very tasty. Loved the chocolate cake on top and fudge sauce on the bottom. My kids and dh also loved this cake. Ideas and Tips: This recipe calls for a lot of water - 1 1/2 cups. I thought it seemed like too much water but it worked out great. I used Hershey's Cocoa instead of dutch processed. Eat with ice cream! The brown sugar should be put in with the hot water. Put a couple of paper towels on top of your crock pot - cover with your lid. The lid will collect condesation. It won't fall back onto the cake because of the paper towels. Lift the paper towels off carefully when removing lid so the water doesn't fall on to the cake.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 2 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder, plus
- 1⁄3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- whipped cream or ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat the inside of a 2 ½ quart to 5 quart slow cooker or crock pot with cooking spray. (Note: the cake's cooking time and final appearance will vary depending on your crock's size.)
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water and mix well.
- Whisk in the 2/3 cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of cocoa, vanilla, salt, milk, and egg yolk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the batter into the slow cooker and spread it evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar, cocoa and hot water until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the batter in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 ¼ to 2 ¼ hours, depending on size of the crock pot.
- Even when done, the cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate, but you will know it is ready when nearly all of the cake is set and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pot.
- (As you check, try not to let the condensed steam from the lid, drip on the cake.) When it is done, turn off the power and remove the lid.
- Let it cool for 25 minutes, then serve it in bowls topped with whipped cream or ice cream.