Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from a Campbell's cookbook I purchased from the US, so easy to make & tasty too! I used Splenda in place of sugar & was still great.
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup blueberries or 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄2 cup miniature chocolate chip
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
- Spray to inside of the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- Place the bread, dried fruit & choc chips in the cooker.
- Beat the milk, eggs, sugar, cocoa & extractuntil combined and then pour over bread mixture, pushing the bread cubes into the liquid to coat.
- Cover & cook on low for 2 1/2-3 hours or until set.
This was perfect for Easter! Everying loved it. Only change I made was I did not add the fruit. I am not a fan of cooked fruit, either fresh or dried.
Wonderful, wonderful bread pudding, even if I did use a nutty whole grain bread instead of the white kind! Also made it with dried cherries, after all, chocolate & cherries . . . YEAH! Thanks for posting this great keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hits recipe tag]
Delicious! I didn't have any dried fruit, but it certainly didn't need it! And the almond extract was just enough to not overpower the chocolate.