Prep 15 mins
Cook 120 hrs
This is a recipe I came up with the other evening to satisfy my craving for comfort food. I needed a one-dish meal, as my crock-pot is the only cooking apparatus I have left after kitchen fire. Great for getting your veggies without extra work or dishes (I love to use spinach and mushrooms whenever I can!). Makes fantastic sandwiches next day (also makes yummy meatballs!)
- 2 lbs ground meat (I use 1 lb beef, 1 lb turkey)
- 2 -3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 onion, grated (with juice)
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄3 cup portabella mushroom, minced
- 2⁄3 cup frozen spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce (Asian hot chile sauce)
- 1 cup cracker, crushed (I use Cheez-its and Triscuits)
- 1⁄3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup cheese, shredded (I use Sargento's Shredded Chipotle, yum!)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper, pulverized
- Mix first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Be careful not to overwork, otherwise your loaf will be tough (hint for any meatloaf!).
- In another bowl, beat eggs with ketchup, sour cream and sriracha sauce. Add to meat mixture.
- Stir in cracker/breadcrumbs and cheese until just mixed inches.
- Shape into two loaves, place in crock pot.
- Mix tomato sauce and chipotle pepper, spread on top of loaf.
- Cook on med-low for 5 hours or until done.
- If desired, sprinkle some shredded Chipotle cheese on top of loaf about 10 mins before serving. You can also make a gravy out of the "juice" that results in bottom of pan by adding some beef broth and thickening with cornstarch.
This meatloaf is incredible!! Very moist, perfectly seasoned and I LOVE the chipotle topping. There's not much left over but I'm looking forward to a yummy sandwich for lunch tomorrow! I'm sorry you had a kitchen fire but I'm glad you created this meatloaf!
Excellent! I had to throw something together for the family that they could serve at mealtime while I was at an evening meeting and stumbled across this recipe. I loosely followed it, omiting ingredients that I did not have on hand (i.e. chipotle cheese) and it STILL turned out amazing. Great basic recipe with fun unique twist. Will definetly make again using ingredients called for. Thanks!