Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs 15 mins
I love the distinct flavor of the chipotle chiles in this recipe, and using chicken thighs is a refreshing change from the frequently used ground beef and taco seasoning. For milder heat use less chiles and seed them!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo (for less heat use less chile)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 8 hard taco shells
Serve with the usual taco toppings
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- In crock-pot, combine chicken, garlic, salsa, chiles, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Cover; cook on high, 4 hours (or on low, 8 hours).
- Transfer chicken to a serving bowl, and shred, using two forks; moisten with cooking juices. Serve in taco shells, with toppings.
- This recipe can be made in the oven too, just preheat oven to 350 degrees. and use a 5-quart Dutch oven or ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid; add 2 cups water. Cover; bake until chicken is fork-tender, about 2 hours.
Very yummy. I have made this many times and now have my own changes. I use 1 1/2 c of salsa (depending on how it is cooking up I may add more as it goes), 6 tsp chiles and 1/2 c taco seasoning mix instead of the chili powder.
Made this for our annual taco party. It was delish, rave reviews from the friends. The kids found it to be a bit too spicy, and I would agree if I wasn't into a little kick. Chicken was moist and flavorful. I used the entire can of chipotle chilis.
My husband and I tried this recipe out and we were saddened by the results. The chicken didn't have much flavor at all, and was dry. I even added a bit of chicken stock because I was worried it might be dried out since there wasn't much liquid in there. The main probably was that you couldn't taste any of the spices from the hot sauce or from the chipotles. Not sure what went wrong. Hopefully someone else has better luck. :)