Recipe by Chef NeedSumHelp
I love the distinct flavor of the chipotle chiles in this recipe, and using chicken thighs is a refreshing change from the frequently used ground beef and taco seasoning. For milder heat use less chiles and seed them!
Top Review by Ruth K - Psuedo Chef
Very yummy. I have made this many times and now have my own changes. I use 1 1/2 c of salsa (depending on how it is cooking up I may add more as it goes), 6 tsp chiles and 1/2 c taco seasoning mix instead of the chili powder.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo (for less heat use less chile)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 8 hard taco shells
Serve with the usual taco toppings
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In crock-pot, combine chicken, garlic, salsa, chiles, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Cover; cook on high, 4 hours (or on low, 8 hours).
- Transfer chicken to a serving bowl, and shred, using two forks; moisten with cooking juices. Serve in taco shells, with toppings.
- This recipe can be made in the oven too, just preheat oven to 350 degrees. and use a 5-quart Dutch oven or ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid; add 2 cups water. Cover; bake until chicken is fork-tender, about 2 hours.