Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a delious Mexican meal that with a modern flavor, but made in the trusty crock pot. You can double the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 chipotle chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope chicken gravy mix
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) package Spanish rice mix
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (3/4 cup)
- chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
- Place chicken, pinto beans, green chiles, chipotle chiles, and gravy mix (dry) in this order in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, make Spanish rice mix as directed on package, using water and oil.
- Meanwhile, gently stir tomato into chicken mixture.
- To serve, spoon about 1-1/4 cups chicken mixture over 1/2 cup rice.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
I was in a rush the morning I threw this together, so I used bone-in chicken thighs. By the time I got home from work, the chicken was so tender that it only took a couple of minutes to remove the bones - a quick, firm stir with a wooden spoon broke the meat up quite easily. The only other change I made was to increase the number of chipotles used to four. Excellent, excellent meal, and even MORE delicious the next day!
Excellent recipe! The directions are easy to follow and it's so simple! Great flavor! We all had seconds and just piled it into tortillas and ate it that way. Thanks for sharing this one Roxygirl-I'll be making it often!
Oh Wow, I really love this recipe. It's hard to find good crock pot recipes and this one is so good. Easy too! Thanks for the great recipe. I didn't change a thing