Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
This is a delious Mexican meal that with a modern flavor, but made in the trusty crock pot. You can double the recipe.
Top Review by Pinay0618
I was in a rush the morning I threw this together, so I used bone-in chicken thighs. By the time I got home from work, the chicken was so tender that it only took a couple of minutes to remove the bones - a quick, firm stir with a wooden spoon broke the meat up quite easily. The only other change I made was to increase the number of chipotles used to four. Excellent, excellent meal, and even MORE delicious the next day!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 chipotle chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope chicken gravy mix
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) package Spanish rice mix
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (3/4 cup)
- chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken, pinto beans, green chiles, chipotle chiles, and gravy mix (dry) in this order in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, make Spanish rice mix as directed on package, using water and oil.
- Meanwhile, gently stir tomato into chicken mixture.
- To serve, spoon about 1-1/4 cups chicken mixture over 1/2 cup rice.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.