Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These ribs will have to be broiled firstly in the oven and then slow-cooked in a crock pot you can easily double this recipe. You can also cook these ribs on low heat in the oven. You might want to double the complete recipe, or just double the sauce ingredients....this is delicious! Adjust the ginger and garlic amount to taste.
- 4 lbs country-style pork ribs (separated)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- hot cooked rice
- In a bowl combine ketchup, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, five-spice powder, onion, ginger and garlic; pour into the slow-cooker.
- Set oven heat to broil and set the rack 6 inches from heat source.
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Place the ribs on a baking pan, then broil, turning once until browned (this should take about 10-12 minutes).
- Transfer the ribs to the slow-cooker/crock pot; turn to coat with the sauce.
- Cover the slow-cooker and cook on LOW heat for about 5-6 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Transfer the ribs to a platter to keep warm.
- Skim any fat from the top of the sauce.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, cook until reduced to about 1 cup.
- In a small cup whisk 1 tablespoon water with 1 teaspoon cornstarch; add to the simmering sauce; simmer until thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the ribs and serve.
- Serve with cooked rice.