Recipe by ChrisI
This Crock Pot Stew is easy to make and allows the meat to become very tender while cooking. It has a Chinese taste due to the fish sauce and goes great with rice.
- 1 -2 lb pork, cubed inch size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, cut (larger pieces)
- 1 -2 medium onion, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups bok choy, cut
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage, cut
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or more)
- 2 pieces orange rind, 2 to 3 inches long
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or to taste, may be fresh ginger - 1/2 tsp)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 drops fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup soya sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown pork and 1/2 garlic in 1 1/2 Tb oil about 7 mins, add to Crock Pot.
- Brown onion and remaining garlic and ginger in 1 1/2 Tb oil approx 6 minutes.
- Add 2 cups chicken stock to onions and garlic.
- Combine brown sugar, soya sauce, white wine and 5 drops of Fish Sauce, add to onions and garlic, cook for 5 minutes.
- Put carrots in Crock Pot.
- Add orange rind and chile peppers to piece of gauze, tie with floss or string and add to Crock Pot.
- Add onions, garlic and sauce to Crock Pot.
- Add Corn Starch and 1/2 cup water to Crock Pot (corn starch and water may be increased to ensure a thicker sauce).
- Add mushrooms, Chinese cabbage and Bok Choy about 1/2 hour or less till finished cooking.
- Discard the orange rind and peppers before adding the veggies.
- This meal can cook away at low heat for 3 to 4 hours. The meat will be very tender. Try not to add the mushrooms, Boc Choy and cabbage to soon.
- Goes great with rice.