Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This takes awhile to prepare but worth it in the end.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tsp. cold water
- 4 lbs country ribs, cut into individual ribs
- hot cooked rice
- In a 3-1/2 quart slow cooker, combine ketchup, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, five-spice powder, onion, ginger and garlic.
- Position a broiler rack 6 inches from the source of the heat and preheat the broiler.
- Broil the ribs, turning once, until browned.
- About 10 minutes.
- Transfer the ribs to the slow cooker.
- Stir to coat the ribs with the sauce.
- Cover and slow cook until ribs are tender, 5 to 6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer the ribs to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Skim the fat from the surface of the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan bring the sauce to a simmer over a medium heat.
- Cook until reduced to about 1 cup, takes about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook just until thickened.
- Pour the sauce over ribs and serve immediately with hot cooked rice.
This recipe made wonderfully tender meat. Found the sauce too sweet and if we make this in the future will probably sub one cup of tomato sauce for some of the ketchup.