Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
On those cold, winter days, this chili is warming and filling. Feel free to adjust the amount of chili powder to your personal taste.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (30 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Fry ground beef and onions in a large pan until beef loses its pinkness; drain.
- Place in crock pot with remaining ingredients, and stir.
- Simmer on low for 7 hours, then turn to high setting.
- To make dumplings, combine flour, cheddar cheese, cornmeal, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix beaten egg, milk, and oil.
- Add to flour mixture, and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls into chili.
- Cover and cook for 50-60 minutes more.