Recipe by truebrit
On those cold, winter days, this chili is warming and filling. Feel free to adjust the amount of chili powder to your personal taste.
Top Review by QueenBof6
Absolutely Wonderful!! The chili was simple yet, tasty. I went back for thirds and was sooo full. I added Cumin to the chili and I also add diced Japaleno's to the cornmeal mix. Hubby and kids didn't care for the cornmeal dummplings, next time I will made some traditionally for them. Thank you, what a great recipe.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (30 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry ground beef and onions in a large pan until beef loses its pinkness; drain.
- Place in crock pot with remaining ingredients, and stir.
- Simmer on low for 7 hours, then turn to high setting.
- To make dumplings, combine flour, cheddar cheese, cornmeal, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix beaten egg, milk, and oil.
- Add to flour mixture, and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls into chili.
- Cover and cook for 50-60 minutes more.