1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Chili Con Carne With Beans
10 hrs 20 mins
Jim Trebilcox's Note:
I just won "First Place" at a country fair with this recipe. The fresh tomatoes and chili peppers give it a fresh and pleasant taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon, cut up in small chunks
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 4 (1 lb) cans canned kidney beans
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes (Hunts has them spiced for chili)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 ounces chili powder
- 4 ounces cayenne pepper (dry powder)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers or 2 serrano peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1Fry the bacon until it starts to brown, then put it into the crock pot.
- 2In the bacon drippings, brown the ground beef.
- 3Put the ground beef, beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, chili powder (In Southern California we have a great variety available, but Gebhardt's would work), and the cayenne into the crock pot with the beef broth.
- 4Cut the stems off the fresh jalapenos and cut them in two or three chunks.
- 5place the peppers along with the garlic and whole fresh tomatoes into a food processor and puree the three ingredients.
- 6Put this into the crock pot, stir to mix and let it all cook for 10-12 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
- 7By making a puree out to of the peppers and garlic, you get a more evenly dispersed blend.
- 8I used the tomatoes to give some moisture to the puree.
- 9Serrano chilies are three times hotter than jalapenos so don't let their small size fool you.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Chili Con Carne With Beans
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.3
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 64.2 mg
- Sodium 759.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 23.2 g