Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (7 ounce) canschopped green chili peppers
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 jar chipotle chile, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Put first 13 ingredients in crock pot with 1 tablespoon of the sugar, mix well, add pinto beans.
- Turn crock pot on low.
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet sauté garlic, onions and green pepper for 4-5 minutes.
- Add to crock pot.
- Dredge the beef in the flour and brown in skillet.
- (add more oil, if necessary).
- Add to crock pot stir well.
- Cook 8-10 hours.
- Taste check; for acidity if necessary add more sugar, salt.
The chili was very tasty but extremely spicy. I just added half the amount of chipoltle peppers and that was plenty hot for me.
We absolutely loved this recipe. This will be the only one that I use from now on. I do recommend cutting back on the chipotle peppers...they are SUPER HOT!!!!
I made this chili for work for about 20 guys. I followed everything but the meat...I used ground beef and pork instead. I made it for 24 servings which filled my 6-quart slow cooker to the rim. Every drop of it was gone within 15 minutes. Everyone said it was by far the best chili they ever had. Hot and spicy but not overly so. Was a GIGANTIC hit with everyone!!!