Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
This is the current incarnation of a lifetime of chili loving. I've begged, borrowed, and stolen bits and pieces of this from just about everyone.
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, cut into 3/8 inch cubes
- 4 lbs round steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 onions, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, seeded,vained,finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, not as sweet as mediterranian
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked dried chipotle powder (Cayenne will do if you must.)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) canortega diced chilies
- 2 dried New Mexico chiles
- 1 pint beer, i usually use brown ale,you can use a pint of chicken stock if you wish to avoid beer
- 4 tablespoons masa harina
- Place the Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Sugar, and Ortega Chilies in crock pot set on high.
- Cook the Salt Pork in a large pan over med-high heat to render it's fat, remove and save half of the drippings.
- Well brown half of the meat.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Cook the other half of the meat.
- when it's done put the first half in the crock pot and drain the second half.
- Wipe the pan.
- add the rest of the drippings.
- Saute (stir Fry) Onions and Jalapenos'til they're almost translucent, 5-10 min.
- Add Garlic and spices, Saute another 4 min.
- Place last of the meat and the vegetables in the crock pot, mix well.
- Place Beer (or chicken stock) in a sauce pan over med-high heat.
- KEEP AN EYE ON IT!
- IT BOILS EASILY AND BOILED OVER BEER IS A MESS TO CLEAN UP!
- Top dried chilies.
- Carefully split in half with a sharp knife, seed and vain.
- Place in beer and cook at a slow boil for 10 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Place one of the chili halves on a plate and scrape the pulp from the skin with the side of a spoon, discard the skin.
- Repeat'til all are cleaned.
- Place the pulp with a bit of the beer in a blender and puree.
- Add the puree and the remaining beer to the crock pot.
- Mix well.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook 8-10 hours.
- Mix Masa Harina with a cup of cold water.
- Stir into pot.
- Cook another 30 min. to thicken.
- Serve with beans, rice, pasta, or over toasted slices of a baguette of French bread.
- Top with chopped Onions and fresh chopped Cilantro.