1/2 Photos of Crock Pot Chili
Pierre Dance's Note:
This is the current incarnation of a lifetime of chili loving. I've begged, borrowed, and stolen bits and pieces of this from just about everyone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb salt pork, cut into 3/8 inch cubes
- 4 lbs round steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 onions, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, seeded,vained,finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, not as sweet as mediterranian
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked dried chipotle powder (Cayenne will do if you must.)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can ortega diced chilies
- 2 dried New Mexico chiles
- 1 pint beer, i usually use brown ale,you can use a pint of chicken stock if you wish to avoid beer
- 4 tablespoons masa harina
- 1Place the Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Sugar, and Ortega Chilies in crock pot set on high.
- 2Cook the Salt Pork in a large pan over med-high heat to render it's fat, remove and save half of the drippings.
- 3Well brown half of the meat.
- 4Drain on paper towel.
- 5Cook the other half of the meat.
- 6when it's done put the first half in the crock pot and drain the second half.
- 7Wipe the pan.
- 8add the rest of the drippings.
- 9Saute (stir Fry) Onions and Jalapenos'til they're almost translucent, 5-10 min.
- 10Add Garlic and spices, Saute another 4 min.
- 11Place last of the meat and the vegetables in the crock pot, mix well.
- 12Place Beer (or chicken stock) in a sauce pan over med-high heat.
- 13KEEP AN EYE ON IT!
- 14IT BOILS EASILY AND BOILED OVER BEER IS A MESS TO CLEAN UP!
- 15Top dried chilies.
- 16Carefully split in half with a sharp knife, seed and vain.
- 17Place in beer and cook at a slow boil for 10 min.
- 18Remove from heat.
- 19Place one of the chili halves on a plate and scrape the pulp from the skin with the side of a spoon, discard the skin.
- 20Repeat'til all are cleaned.
- 21Place the pulp with a bit of the beer in a blender and puree.
- 22Add the puree and the remaining beer to the crock pot.
- 23Mix well.
- 25Reduce heat to low.
- 26Cook 8-10 hours.
- 27Mix Masa Harina with a cup of cold water.
- 28Stir into pot.
- 29Cook another 30 min. to thicken.
- 30Serve with beans, rice, pasta, or over toasted slices of a baguette of French bread.
- 31Top with chopped Onions and fresh chopped Cilantro.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Chili
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.2
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 968.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 39.0 g