Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This recipe makes what I call authentic chili. You could add a can of kidney beans or pinto beans and heat through before serving. I have made this many times for a work potluck with never a left over
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (casings removed if present)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 slices bacon, cooked drained and crumbled
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 small dried red chili pepper, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- cook sausage until brown.
- remove leaving drippings in pan.
- add beef to pan and brown in 2 batches add beef and sausage to crock pot combine all of the ingredients into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
You're right that authentic chili is not made with beans and some would say no tomatoes either. The one thing this chili and all chili must have is cumin. Without it this recipe makes more of a spaghetti meat sauce.