Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I love this recipe. It is easy to put together and cooks while you are away. This recipe is a combination of several recipes I have used over the years. Serve this with either flour or corn tortillas for a wonderful meal. The heat depends on the heat of the chiles. I use long green mild chiles from Hatch, NM.
- 2 lbs lean boneless beef stew meat
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 large green chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, diced in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro
- Combine all ingredients, except for cilantro and jalapeno peppers, in a 6 quart crock pot.
- I prefer to use Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and skin left on.
- Stir to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Cover, turn on low and cook for approximately 5 to 6 hours or until meat and potatoes are almost tender.
- Add chopped cilantro, and if more heat is desired, the jalapeno peppers.
- Continue cooking an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve hot with tortillas of your choice.
- This is wonderful warmed over the next day.
I loved this...it was much better the second day. I liked that I didn't have to brown anything and could just throw it all in the crockpot. I used larger chunks of beef stew meat and peeled brown potatoes cut in larger chunks. I used 3 4oz cans of mild diced green chilies and wish I used more. I used 2 beef bouillion cubes. At the end I added 1 minced jalapeno pepper and extra cilantro. I really liked the ground cloves undertone. I tried to rush this starting it out on high but after cooking for 4 1/2 hours the potatoes still weren't done so I put it on low and decided we'd have to eat it the next day...I cooked it on low another 2 1/2 hours. When it was done the beef had turned into shredded beef. I'll be making this again with more green chilies, garlic and black pepper and I'd like to try it with pork and then chicken. Thanks for the recipe! Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders game.
We liked it, but next time I'll leave out the lemon juice. It added an undertone that didn't appeal to me. I made it in the crock pot which was quick and easy, and done perfectly after 6 hours on low. I cheated and used canned green chilis. We served it over a bed of quinoa which we thought really complemented the stew. Thanks for posting Paula.
123 Hit Wonders 2007 ~ This was great! The only thing I changed was I used a green roasted pepper and a red chili pepper in lieu of the green chilies and jalapeno. I also added a bit of cayenne just to give it a little extra kick. As there's only two of us, I didn't use as much beef but left all the amounts on the remaining ingredients the same. I have to also admit that we devoured the entire pot! Thanks Paula!