1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Chile Verde Stew (Caldillo)
6 hrs 20 mins
I love this recipe. It is easy to put together and cooks while you are away. This recipe is a combination of several recipes I have used over the years. Serve this with either flour or corn tortillas for a wonderful meal. The heat depends on the heat of the chiles. I use long green mild chiles from Hatch, NM.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean boneless beef stew meat
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 large green chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, diced in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1Combine all ingredients, except for cilantro and jalapeno peppers, in a 6 quart crock pot.
- 2I prefer to use Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and skin left on.
- 3Stir to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- 4Cover, turn on low and cook for approximately 5 to 6 hours or until meat and potatoes are almost tender.
- 5Add chopped cilantro, and if more heat is desired, the jalapeno peppers.
- 6Continue cooking an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- 7Serve hot with tortillas of your choice.
- 8This is wonderful warmed over the next day.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Chile Verde Stew (Caldillo)
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.7
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 118.0 mg
- Sodium 201.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 33.3 g