Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Okay, so I'm looking at my pantry which is all but bare and my wallet which looks a helluva lot like my pantry and thinking, "Okay... how the hell am I gonna pull this one off?" Well, this is how. Since this recipe is based on "whatever the hell I got in the pantry", be flexible with it, play around.
- 3 chicken leg quarters, split
- 2 small onions, diced (or one medium onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup (can substitute a can of any sort of tomatoes, just make sure they're good and mashed up)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can milk (if you don't have any milk, it's cool, water works good, too)
- 0.5 (10 ounce) can water
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 5 teaspoons Frank's red hot sauce (Frank's cooks up the best when flavor, not spice is the key, substiture your own favorite)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Saute onions and garlic with oregano in 1 tablespoons butter in a wide pan. When onions have browned, remove and set aside.
- Rinse and pat chicken dry. Split the quarters and salt and pepper each side.
- Brown the halved chicken quarters in same pan. It'll probably take two batches, use 2 tablespoons butter per batch.
- Leaving the excess butter in the pan, put the onions and garlic back in the pan, along with the soups, milk, water and 1 tablespoons dry sherry and bring to a rapid simmer (I dunno what to call it, but it's the time just before a slow boil, when all the bubbles are rolling around but not popping out of the pan like if it's boiling). Whisk a lot while it's heating up, getting all those yummy bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and start adding your hot sauce 1 teaspoons at a time until it tastes just right (5 shakes = roughly a tsp.). Salt and pepper to taste, keeping in mind that most hot sauces have a lot of salt in them already.
- Put chicken and sauce in crockpot on Low for 6 to 7 hours.
MMMMM, so good! I was a little weary on this at first, but wow it was so good. And i had a thought about it as i was eating it, you could probably add some indian spices to it and it would be almost like a curry. I also cooked mine on the stove top in my dutch oven. I cooked it on med-low for about two hours. It was so tender, the chicken just fell off the bone. I will for sure be making this again, and maybe i'll try it with the indian spices :) Thanks for posting this.
I must have done something wrong because mine came out terrible. I followed the recipe exactly except for the sherry and oregano. The end result was chicken that tastes like it was boiled in grease. Not very appetizing.
This is my first time making this meal and it smells delicious. For this dish I used chicken thighs only, garlic, onions, misses dash seasoning, celery, hot sauce, milk, cream of chicken soup, spaghetti noodles, olive oil instead of butter, sherry, and cream of mushroom. My husband will be eating this for he's dinner and he cannot wait to dig in for this yummy meal. I do believe that he'll enjoy this dish and I'll make this again and again just for him.