Recipe by Outta Here
A nice easy dish for those busy days around the holidays. Put this on before going shopping and dinner is waiting when you get home! Serve with rice or couscous and a veggie. Boneless chicken thighs could be used also. EDITED TO ADD: The 6 hour cooking time is based on my very old crockpot, but I have noticed my newer crockpot cooks hotter, so 4 hours on low may be plenty.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
From reading the ingredients, I just loved the sound of the blend of flavours here - the orange, cinnamon ginger and sugar - and I was curious about the inclusion of cranberries. We were delighted by the finished dish. I followed the recipe exactly, except for using only one tablespoon of brown sugar (personal taste preference) and adding 1/2 cup wine in step one. I didn't bother to use the flour and water at the end: the juices were wonderfully flavoursome, and didn't seem to need thickening for our taste. I used frozen cranberries. The added bonus with this recipe is that it is just SO easy to make! The only effort really required, apart from placing all the ingredients in the pot and turning it on, is peeling and chopping one onion! Thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe, mikekey. Made for Potluck Tag.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (may be frozen-don't thaw)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients, except flour and water, in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4-6 hours (depending on how hot your pot runs), until chicken is tender.
- Mix flour with cold water and add to pot in the last 15 to 20 minutes and cook until thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.