Recipe by Aroostook
A friend gave me this recipe to use with any type of poultry. I have used it with partridge, pheasant and even rabbit! Yummy!
Top Review by ClareVH
I made this for dinner yesterday. DH said "The Chicken is Perfect". You can't get much better than that! I started at 8:30AM with a 2.5 pound bag of frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts. I didn't have savory so substituted oregano. I started with 4 hours on high since the meat was frozen, then turned the crockpot to low for the remainder of the time. Heeding the experience of another reviewer, I made the sauce differently (starting with step 5). I removed the chicken from the crockpot, then strained the cooking liquid into a saucepan and brought it to a simmer. (I returned the chicken to the crockpot set on low to keep warm). I whisked together the cream and cornstarch and added it to the cooking liquid, then I whisked in the crumbled blue cheese. When the blue cheese melted, I poured the sauce back over the chicken in the crockpot and left it on low until ready to serve. I served it with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots. I poured some of the sauce over the vegetables. It was a great meal! Thanks!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken, cut up
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; then arrange, overlapping pieces slightly, in a 4 qt or larger electric slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with pepper, thyme, and savory; insert bay leaf between two chicken pieces.
- Mix mustard and wine; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook at low setting until meat in thickest part is very tender when pierced (6 1/2- 8 1/2 hours).
- Carefully lift chicken to warm serving dish; keep warm.
- Mix cornstarch and cream; blend into cooking liquid.
- Increase cooker heat setting to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 time, until sauce is thickened (about 10 more minutes).
- Add 1/4 cup of the cheese, cover, and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes; stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce over chicken; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.