Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From a Weight Watcher's Crock Pot cookbook. I haven't tried it yet but copied from my friend's book. The recipe states that Vindaloo is a spicy Indian curry usually made with lamb, but chicken is equally delicious. Prepared curry paste can be very spicy, so start with the minimum amount; then, when the dish is done, taste the broth and add the remaining paste if desired. *Any frozen vegetable blend will work with the recipe as long as there are no sauces or butter added.
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges through the root end
- 3⁄4 lb potato, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 -3 teaspoon Thai red curry paste, can use green
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- In single layers, place onion, potatoes and chicken in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Combine the broth, curry paste, and curry powder in a medium bowl; pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and potatoes are fork tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- About 35 minutes before cooking is done, stir the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and coconut milk into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high until vegetables are crisp tender, about 30 minutes.
We love curries - and the slow cooker is my best friend, so I was so excited to find this recipe. Unfortunately, I would have to agree with the previous viewer who found it to be too bland. I added a heaping tablespoon of the red curry paste, and the full amount of curry, so I didn't go easy on the spices. Next time I will look at some other curries to see what my options are as far as spices go. I added my frozen vegetables about 45 minutes before we ate, and they, as well as the rest of the recipe other than the spiciness, was great! Will work with this to see if I can boost the flavor.
This is definitely yummy! I ended up with the whole 3 tsp of red curry paste and even then it didn't have a huge kick, just good taste. Next time I will cook the veggies for more than 30 minutes, they were still quite crunchy after 30 minutes.
This is DEFINATELY a winner! Thank you sooooooooooo much for tonight's dinner! LOVE chicken vindaloo AND that this is soooooooooooooo easy to do! Will be making this again real soon, TRUE!