Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
For the Vegetarian version: use your favorite veggies, omit the cinnamon stick. This is my sister's recipe (Thank you Najla! XOXO), she made it on the stove top. It's really yummy!!
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground hot pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Puree first 10 ingredients in a blender.
- Pour into the crock pot, add tomato sauce, cinnamon stick and onion and mix well.
- Add chicken and turn to cover.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
- Serve with rice or rolls, enjoy!
By Indian cooking standards, this recipe delivers an authentic taste. Both myself and my Indian wife were quite pleased with the results, although by personal preference I'd recommend a couple of changes: cut down the vinegar, add a little brown sugar, and add some salt. This one's a winner in our household!
great flavor!!! sure DOES have an authentic Indian taste; i doubled the recipe, added about 3 or 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and less vinegar as previously suggested...also added a pound of peeled baby carrots and browned a whole cut-up chicken instead of using chicken breasts...next time i will add mushrooms...it's on my "favorites" list
Ohh! This was soooo good! As Replicator suggested, I cut the vinegar down, and added salt to the dish. I also added extra curry and cumin, as well as extra cayenne. I will make this again! (and again, and again, and AGAIN!) Thanks for a great recipe!