Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An easy throw-together of comforting soup!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes (hand crush when adding)
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 12 small corn tortillas (to garnish)
- In slow cooker, combine shredded chicken, whole tomatoes (hand crushing to break them into smaller pieces), enchilada sauce, green chilies, onion, and garlic. Add chicken broth, water, and spices. Stir in corn. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with vegetable oil. Cut tortillas into strips and spread on baking sheet. Bake, turning occasionally, until crisp; about 5-10 minutes. Use to garnish soup.