I just love coming home from a long day at work to a cooked dinner! Right when you walk in the door you can smell the wonderful soup, so we dig in as soon as we can!
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped, 1/2 c dry minced onion can be substituted
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, UNdrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, can use water as well and add boullion
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can beans, black, pinto, kidney, white, DRAINED AND RINSED
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bay leaf, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- corn tortilla strips or chips
- monterey jack cheese or monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- sour cream & guacamole
- Combine all ingredients in greased 4 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low heat 6-8 hrs or on high 3-4 hrs (everyone's crockpot is different, adjust accordingly).
- Top with shredded pepper or monterey jack cheese, guacamole or sour cream.
- Serve with tortilla strips or chips, sometimes I even make cheese quesadillas.
- VARIATION- Add 1 c shredded carrots or zucchini at beginning of cook time.
This soup really does deserve the full 5 stars! I cut the recipe in half and cooked it on high for 3 hours and it was ready when lunch time hit. I used diced tomatoes, the dried onion and mexi corn. I totally forgot the cheese. But I do have leftovers so it will get some then. Both DH and I thought the spices were spot on. I did use a hot enchilada sauce. Serve some chips on the side. Yum! Made for best of 2010 game. Thanks for posting. :)
This soup was absolutely wonderful and easy to make. It tasted like liquid enchiladas. The blend of herbs and spices was PERFECTO! I struggle to find delicious creative recipes without dairy and gluten foods involved and this is a keeper. Crumbled corn chips and no cheese on top was just fine. You'll love it!
This was absolutely wonderful!! I jump at the chance to use my crockpot and this recipe did not disappoint, so much easier then my stove-top recipe and just as good, if not better!