Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Garnished with avocado, sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips, this soup is hearty enough to eat as a meal
- 1 lb chicken, poached and shredded
- 1⁄4 cup poblano pepper, seeded & diced
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper, seeded & diced
- 1⁄4 cup serrano pepper, seeded & diced
- 1 cup onion, peeled & diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 lb corn tortilla, torn in squares
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 gallon chicken broth
- 10 ounces frozen corn (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt (to taste)
- 2 avocados (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, Grated (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, Grated (optional)
- 4 tortillas, sliced into 1/2-inch strips and baked until crispy (optional)
- 4 ounces sour cream (optional)
- In a skillet, saute peppers, onions, poblanos, garlic and tortillas in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- In 6 quart stock pot add the skillet contents, chicken broth, canned tomatoes and chicken.
- Cook until vegetables are soft, tortillas are dissolved and the soup is slightly thickened. (4 hours on low, 2 hours on high in my crock pot).
- Add cilantro and frozen corn and cook until corn is thawed (around 15 mins). You can also add water or chicken broth if the soup is too thick.
- Top with crisp fried tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado slices (to me the garnish makes this soup, I never make it without).