Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe comes from a Woman's Day Special Magazine titled Slow Cooking. It is easy to prepare and doesn't lack in taste. I made a few variations.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 ounces chopped milkd green chilies, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
- 1 lime, juice of
- Place chicken in slow cooker. I put in frozen chicken breasts halves.
- Combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, 1/2 cup broth and cumin in small bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover; cook on High for 4 hours or on Low 6 hours until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, use 2 forks to shred the meat and return to crock pot.
- Adjust seasonings, adding additional broth if necessary. I find I need to add another cup of chicken broth at this point.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro.
- Serve in soup bowls, topping wach with a few slices of tortilla strips, avocado and squeeze of lime juice.