4 hrs 10 mins
Audrey M's Note:
This recipe comes from a Woman's Day Special Magazine titled Slow Cooking. It is easy to prepare and doesn't lack in taste. I made a few variations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 ounces chopped milkd green chilies, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1Place chicken in slow cooker. I put in frozen chicken breasts halves.
- 2Combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, 1/2 cup broth and cumin in small bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.
- 3Cover; cook on High for 4 hours or on Low 6 hours until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, use 2 forks to shred the meat and return to crock pot.
- 4Adjust seasonings, adding additional broth if necessary. I find I need to add another cup of chicken broth at this point.
- 5Just before serving, stir in cilantro.
- 6Serve in soup bowls, topping wach with a few slices of tortilla strips, avocado and squeeze of lime juice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.1
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 42.6 mg
- Sodium 532.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 19.6 g