Recipe by supernova
hi, tortilla soup is my favorite soup, but i wasn't sure how to make it, so i asked my mom (she's a really good cook), to help me make-up a recipe for it. This is what we came up with, i really like it, and i hope you will too. ( I use a 5 quart rival smartpot, you could break recipe in half for smaller crock pot).
- 2 -4 carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 2 -4 stalks celery & leaves, sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounce) can mild green chilies, diced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon powder
- 3 zucchini, sliced (add to pot last 2 hours)
- 2 yellow squash, sliced (add to pot last 2 hours)
- corn tortilla, cut into small thin strips
- vegetable oil, for cooking tortilla strips
- fresh cilantro
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put first 15 ingredients, in order given, in pot.
- Do not stir.
- cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- add your zucchini and squash to pot after soup has cooked for 6-8 hours, (if you add the zucchini and squash too soon, they.
- become too mushy).
- when soup is done, squeeze 1/2 lemon or lime juice in soup and stir.
- before soup is done slice tortillas into small thin strips, (the thinner the strips,.
- the crispier they will be when you fry.
- them). heat vegetable oil in skillet, and.
- fry tortilla strips until crispy.
- fill bowls with soup, sprinkle each bowl with cilantro, cheese, avocado, (about 1 tablespoons each), and about 2-3 tablespoons of tortilla strips. (or however much you like).