Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I like this recipe because my family does not like beef stroganoff and this still tastes like stroganoff. Try it out and see for yourself. I got this recipe from a recipe group on Yahoo Groups called Crockpot_Recipes.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, frozen
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
- Place frozen chicken breasts on the bottom of the crock pot.
- Mix the other ingredients together and pour over chicken breats.
- Cook on Low for about 7-8 hours, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Stir sauce before cooking and if you would like to thicken sauce, add flour or cornstarch.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Great recipe and very easy - a good choice for my first ever crock pot dish! I admit I did tinker with the ingredients a little - it just isn't stroganoff for me without tomato paste, so I added a 135g (4.5oz?) tetrapack of the stuff at the beginning plus a large (14oz?) can of sliced mushrooms, mixed with everything else. I was skeptical about using frozen chicken, but it was sooo moist and tender after 6 hours (on Medium) it was unbelievable. I fork shredded the chicken and tossed it all back in the pot to heat through - AWESOME over fettucine!
I've made this twice now and it is great! The first time I used full-fat ingredients and it was excellent. The second time I used 'Healthy Request' mushroom soup and low-fat sour cream and it was just as excellent! So- why not use the lower fat ingredients?!? I also cooked this for at least 10 hours with no loss of taste. The chicken fell apart- but I'm okay with that. Right before serving I boiled half a bag of "No-Yolks" egg noodles and just mixed the drained noodles directly into the crockpot. It wasn't as pretty but much easier to serve. Next time I may add some additional mushrooms because the little bits that are in the condensed soup really disappear in the cooked dish. This one is in heavy rotation in my meal cycle now. Easy to prepare and cheap ingredients. What's not to like?
I only used half the amount of onion soup but was still a bit salty for me, tasted good other than the saltiness though.