Recipe by jmelyn
I really should use my crock pot more often. I mean, you get tasty results (such as this) with a minimum of work. My kind of kitchen appliance.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
I was careful to measure all the ingredents correctly and found the end result OK if not outstanding. The spice from the pepper flakes was just right and I liked the allspice in the dish. It was just missing some body in the spices. I think maybe adding a bunch of onion and a few cloves of garlic might do the trick. Also I noticed that it doesn't call for much liquid and I didn't bother to thicken it. Just mentioning that it isn't really a "stew" but more of an entree to pour over rice.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped gingerroot or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients except pineapple, cornstarch, and bell pepper in 3 1/2 to 6 quart crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours, high 3 to 4 hours, or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Mix reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch until smooth and stir gradually into chicken.
- Stir in pineapple and bell pepper.
- Cover and cook on high about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve over hot cooked rice, and garnish with sliced green onions and toasted coconut, or chopped peanuts or cashews if desired.