Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Great winter supper
- 6 chicken pieces, breasts and thighs
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans
- 1⁄2 lb smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken, leek, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Top with beans and sausage.
- Add white wine.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours until chicken is tender.
- Serve with crusty french bread.
I'm always looking for great recipes for the slow cooker and this one looked very promising. The texture of the chicken was great (I used chicken thighs with the skin removed), the sausage tasted very good, and the beans did not get overly soft even after 6 hours cooked on low. However, my family found the dish a bit on the rich side, a problem we encounter frequently with slow cooker recipes. The flavors really intensify in the slow cooker, so I think I would try it again with one clove of garlic and using chicken broth instead of the wine. Also, the recipe does not mention to drain and rinse the beans which I would recommend to cut the saltiness a bit.