Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- Cut whole chicken breasts into halves.
- In bowl, beat egg, salt, and pepper.
- Dip chicken into egg then coat with crumbs.
- In large skillet, saute chicken in butter or margarine. Arrange chicken and eggplant in crock pot with eggplant on bottom.
- Pour pizza sauce over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Add Mozzarella cheese 15 minutes before serving.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
This was so tendy & flavorful! I made a few changes, but nothing drastic (just trying to please the picky guy again!). I used whole chicken legs that I had on hand and removed the skin. Layered a large sliced onion on the bottom of pot as DH won't eat eggplant. Also added an extra can of pizza sauce to serve with pasta on the side. Tossed in a tablespoon of Italian herbs just for kicks. But otherwise the basic recipe is great. We'll definitely be making this again - thanks!
Made this a couple of weeks ago (just now catching up with reviews here!) Very good! I did think it seemed a little redundant or self-defeating to have to cook the chicken before I used the crockpot....I think next time I'll try to throw it all in together and see what happens! Great recipe, though--all I did differently was to add some oregano and other spices to my pizza sauce (just personal taste!) Thanks for the great recipe Anne!
Thanks so much Anne! I live in a very Italian area and have had a lot of Chix Parm. This is the first time I've made it at home and had it taste restaurant quality and I've made chicken parm with at least a dozen recipes. This is just pure, delicious home cooking. I know it seems like a lot of work to brown the chicken and then put it in the crock pot but I assure you, the results are worth it! I used a jarred marinara sauce as opposed to a pizza sauce, I also subbed in shredded mozzarella. It barely even needed the cheese, it was SO juicy on it's own.