Recipe by Charmed
Posted in response to a request, chicken pieces in a Hungarian-style paprika and sour cream sauce. The source is unknown. NOTE: Although the recipe did not indicate, I would remove the skin from the chicken before cooking.
Top Review by lc864
Real Hungarian Chicken Paprikash does not contain the following: Garlic, tomatoes, green peppers, oregano or flour. It only contains, onion, oil, paprika, pepper, salt, chicken, water and sour cream. Served on dumplings or wide noodles.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 -5 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 cup canned tomato
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water, chicken, tomatoes, green pepper, onion, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano into the crock pot.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken pieces from the crock pot and skim fat from the remaining sauce.
- Remove 1/4 cup liquid from the crock pot and allow to cool a bit.
- Blend flour with the 1/4 cup cooled juices and return the flour mixture to the liquid in the crock pot.
- Mix well and stir until thickened.
- Blend in sour cream.
- Return chicken to the pot and allow to heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve on cooked noodles if desired.