Recipe by Geema
The traditional Chicken mole is just delicious and this recipe makes it extremely simple to prepare using your crock pot. BHG's Slow Cooker Recipes is the source.
Top Review by GlutenFreeInDixie
I would suggest going with the almonds instead of the pumpkin seeds. I used the pumpkin seed option, and there were very hard "shell" like bits in the sauce that were unpleasant and got stuck in our teeth. Next time I make this I will definitely use almonds. Otherwise, this tasted very good. I used 2 fresh jalapeño peppers because I happened to have them on hand, and didn't have any canned. It was a good amount of spice.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, quartered
- 2 canned jalapeno peppers, drained
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up and skinned
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (to garnish) or 2 tablespoons almonds (to garnish)
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender container or food processor bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, onion, nuts, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cocoa powder, raisins, sesame seeds, sugar, salt and spices.
- Cover and blend until mixture is a coarse puree.
- In the crock pot, place the tapioca.
- Add chicken and then the sauce.
- Cover, and cook on low for 9 hours.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.
- and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.