Recipe by Anisel
This is a rich, sweet and tangy chicken dish. I invented this recipe for my daughter, who has Crohn's Disease. It is designed to be nutritionally dense, so it is deliberately high in fat. You could leave out the cream, but the ground almonds would still add fat. We serve it with couscous or plain rice - it is rich so you only need small helpings and can add vegetable side dishes of your choice. It's also delicious cold - as a salad or in sandwiches, rather like Coronation Chicken. It freezes beautifully.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 500 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 250 g ready-to-eat dried apricots, cut in half
- 250 ml organic vegetable stock
- 250 ml apple juice
- 2 1⁄2 ml ground cinnamon
- 75 g ground almonds
- 100 ml double cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently fry finely chopped onion in sunflower oil until golden.
- Add chicken breasts and brown lightly on both sides.
- Transfer meat and onions to pre-heated crock pot.
- Pour over stock and apple juice.
- Stir in chopped dried apricots.
- Stir in ground cinnamon.
- Cover and cook on Auto 4-5 hours.
- When meat is tender, remove chicken from crock pot and cut in chunks.
- Stir ground almonds and cream into sauce.
- Return chicken to crock pot and reheat before serving.