Recipe by Vino Girl
From Fitness Magazine. We thought this was quite good, and easier than making it completely from scratch on the stove. I subbed fresh tomatoes and jalapenos with no problems. I also stirred in some small cooked and peeled shrimp 15 minutes before serving. I used Zatarain's Jambalaya mix which has no separate seasoning packet, so both the rice and spices went in together.
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peppers and onions
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package jambalaya rice mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch strips.
- Place frozen vegetables in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker and top with chicken strips and turkey sausage.
- Add water, undrained tomatoes, and seasoning packet from rice.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Stir in rice.
- Cover and cook about 45 minutes more (if using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting), or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.