Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is incredibly easy and great over mashed potatoes or noodles for an old fashioned meal. You can also add some diced carrots to add a bit of color!
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken in crock pot.
- Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- One hour before serving, prepare chive dumplings: Mix dry ingredients and shortening.
- Add chives and milk, combine well.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto hot chicken and gravy.
- Cover and cook on high for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables, or over hot, cooked noodles.
This is a super recipe! It is easy to prepare and produces a moist flavorful chicken dish. The dumplings were perfecr light and fluffy.I found that it was ready in 5 hours and turned it to warm turned it on low again an hour before dinner to cook the dumplings. Next time I will add carrots, peas & potatoes to the crockpot. I like the added bonus that you use fat reduced soup and skim milk and it tasted creamy good. Thanks Tish for a real winner.
Tish, this was delish! I followed all directions exactly, except I omitted the rosemary (my personal preference). The chicken came out so tender and full of flavor; the dumplings an added bonus. I doubled the recipe as well, and served with mashed potatoes and carrots on the side.
It was a great meal and really easy to make. The only thing that the dumplings needed to cook longer than an hour.