Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A hearty chicken soup made in your crockpot. Top it with cheese and even the kids will love it!
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (1 1/8 ounce) package fajita seasoning mix (dry)
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free chicken broth, plus
- 3 (14 ounce) cans water (use empty can)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (16 ounce) jarof mild cilantro salsa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- Place all ingredients in a slow crock pot.
- Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and stir to break up chicken before serving.
- Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, if desired.
- Or serve with tortillas cut into strips for some variety.
This may be the perfect soup: low in fat, explosively flavorful, protein- and fiber-rich... And, since it's made in the crock pot, unflinchingly easy. We've come back to it again and again. I would even recommend experimenting with salsas and adding fresh cilantro as an alternative. Do yourself a favor and make this soup. It's simply peerless.
i made this and my husband loved it! He refuses to eat left-overs, but he ate this soup for 3-4 days and requested I make it again the next week. I dont have cilantro salsa, so I used hot salsa and added extra cilantro and it worked well. I also used canned corn instead of frozen. VERY TASTY
The whole family loved it.