Recipe by lwgrl01
This recipe came from my mother and is the recipe she uses for Holiday dinners. It is delicious! Note: This recipe will not produce golden brown dressing with crust. You need an oven for that!
- 3 lbs chicken breasts or 1 medium hen
- 3 (11 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poultry seasoning or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sage
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups cornbread, crumbled fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups biscuits or 1 1⁄2 cups bread, in pieces
- 1 large onion, diced fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Stew chicken until done. Tear into pieces and set aside. Save broth.
- Mix bread, eggs, butter, seasoning and onions into a bowl. Add 1 1/2 cans of soup, slightly diluted with water or chicken broth. Mix thoroughly.
- Place 1/2 can of soup, slightly diluted with water or broth, into the bottom of crockpot.
- Alternate layers of chicken and dressing mixture. (About halfway to top of crockpot, add another 1/2 can of souped slightly diluted with water or broth). End with layer of chicken on top.
- Add remaining soup to top of layers and cook on low for 3 hours.