Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Melody of spices, great served with a simple rice pilaf or just plain white rice.
- 4 -5 lbs chicken pieces (I use legs & thighs)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 -2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (approx. 3-1/2 c.)
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- crisco vegetable shortening (as needed)
- 2 cups raisins
- Put chicken pieces in gallon size zip lock bag, carefully pour in buttermilk squish air out and seal securely, refrigerate.
- Heat oil in skillet add green peppers, and onions cook over med low slowly for 15 minutes.
- Put this mixture in the crockpot and add tomatoes, spices and salt, and pepper garlic.
- Turn crockpot on high til begins to simmer, turn down.
- Combine coating mix in gallon size zip lock bag.
- Empty chicken into large bowl, discard buttermilk.
- Shaking of excess milk put several pieces at a time in bag of coating mixture, shake til all is coated.
- Laying them in single layer on cooky sheet as you go.
- Heat crisco in heavy skillet.
- Fry chicken 3-4 pieces At a time 6-8 minutes each side until brown on all sides.
- Lay chicken in the sauce in crockpot cover and simmer 6-8 hours.
- Add raisins 1/2 hour before serving.