Recipe by Deantini
Wonderful on cold nights. I also make this dish on the stove top, simmering for about 1 hour. I like to add 1-1 1/2 cup chicken broth to make it a bit more liquidy.
Top Review by brightma
This was good. I made this on the stove top. I used pinto beans because that's what I had on hand. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast which I sliced and added to the pot. Once it was cooked, I removed chicken and shredded with two forks then placed back in the pot & simmered for 5 minutes, stirred & served. I served with a dollop of sour cream, shredded Colby jack cheese & diced avocado. It was delicious!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 19 ounces white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or use can size that come closest, this is a Canadian size can)
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat, brown chicken all over. Transfer to crock pot.
- Drain any fat from pan. Heat 1 tbsp oil and fry onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally until softened, about 6 minute Scrape into crock pot.
- Add beans and chilies to crock pot and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from sauce, cube into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Whisk flour with 3 tbsp water and stir into crock pot. cover and cook on high for 15 min or until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in chicken, fresh cilantro and lime, heat through and serve.