Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I found this recipe on a Weight Watchers related website and knew I had to try it. The only non Core ingredient are 4 tablespoons of currants which spread over the entire dish are just 2 points or 1/2 point per serving. For Flex this is 7 points per serving.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 large carrots, sliced about 1/4 inch thick (or less)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced or 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced in 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons currants (if Core must count points) or 4 tablespoons raisins (if Core must count points)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sauté onions, ginger and garlic in oil for 3 or 4 minutes and transfer to crockpot.
- Brown chicken in same pan over medium heat. Reserve in skillet.
- Add carrots, potatoes to crock pot.
- Place chicken on top of veggies.
- Stir seasonings in a small bowl and sprinkle over chicken along with currants and raisins.
- If you like a very thick sauce, drain one of the two cans of tomatoes before adding to crock pot. Top chicken with diced tomatoes.
- Add zucchini to the top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Add beans, parsley and cilantro 30 minutes before serving. (You can also do all cilantro or all parsley according to personal preference.).
- Serve over cooked rice or couscous.
really delicious and healthy, makes you feel good all the way around :)
This was great! My husband, a little picky, liked it as is, but did suggest that a little lemon juice might be good. A definite winner in my house!