Cook8 hrs 25 mins
This is one of my husbands more favorite things to cook. The green olives are a nice touch. But you could use ripe olives if you prefer. I like this with pasta and garlic bread, but if you're reducing carbs, you can serve without.
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken legs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Brown chicken in olive oil in skillet on both sides.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place in the bottom of crock pot.
- Deglaze bottom of skillet with red wine, stirring to get up all the browned bits.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until mixed well.
- Stir oregano, basil, bay leaf, and garlic into sauce.
- Place mushrooms, onions, olives, celery, and green pepper over the chicken in the crock pot.
- Pour the sauce over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is done.
- Check consistency of sauce in crockpot.
- If it needs thickening, whisk together flour and water in a small dish.
- Remove chicken and bay leaf from crock pot, discarding bay leaf and keeping chicken warm.
- Stir flour slurry into sauce and cook, covered, on high, for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve chicken with vegetable sauce spooned over, garnished with parmesan cheese (if desired).