Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I adapted this from “The Unwatched Pot”. It freezes very well. I add mushrooms when I reheat it. It makes lots of sauce, so it is nice over rice or noodles. If you use chicken with bones in it, cool and de-bone the chicken after cooking and then return to the stew.
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup bell pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 6 servings.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover with the onions, then add all of the other ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Easy and good! This is my sole opinion because the husband is away, one son is sick and didn't try it and the other really only wanted the bow-tie pasta I made with it. I didn't add the butter and used chicken without the skin. Thanks!
I made this on Sunday and watched football. The smell was just wonderful. The missus loved it. The flavor was great. It was just a little runny but I served it over rice and everything was just great. I did not take the chicken from the bone and it was good. I think I will add the mushrooms next time. That shoulb be good. Thanks for the recipe dicentra. You done GOOD.