Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I adapted this from “The Unwatched Pot”. It freezes very well. I add mushrooms when I reheat it. It makes lots of sauce, so it is nice over rice or noodles. If you use chicken with bones in it, cool and de-bone the chicken after cooking and then return to the stew.
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup bell pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 6 servings.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover with the onions, then add all of the other ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.