Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My kids loved tacos and chili, so I thought, "Why not burritos?" I started dumping things in the crock pot and my "famous" recipe was born.
- 680.38 g boneless chicken thighs (may use breasts)
- 2 (878.83 g) can black beans, drained
- 453.59 g jar salsa
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 283.49 g can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 59.14 ml tequila or 59.14 ml beer
- 226.79 g package frozen corn
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 439.41 g can refried beans
- 10 burrito-size whole wheat tortillas
- 177.44 ml taco sauce
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream (to garnish)
- sliced scallion (to garnish)
- In a crock pot add all ingredients EXCEPT vinegar, refried beans, tortillas, taco sauce, and cheddar.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Add vinegar and shred chicken with forks (I find a potato masher works well too).
- In two 9x13 baking dishes spread half of the taco sauce and spread evenly.
- Assemble burritos by smearing a tortilla down the middle with refried beans. Add approximately 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture, roll up and place seam-down in baking dish. Repeat until baking dish is full (usually 5 burritos in each dish for me).
- Pour remaining taco sauce over burritos, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- I love making a double batch of this and save the "guts" in a ziploc in the freezer for another day.
I love the idea of making this dish in the crock pot, and also that you can just put everything in the crock pot and it's ready to go. I did make a few changes to this recipe based on what was available. I didn't use tequila because I didn't want to buy it just for this recipe. I also used 1 tsp El Paso's taco seasoning instead of cumin, since that's what I had on hand. I decided to serve the tortillas at the table, and my husband and I filled our burritos first with the filling, and then with Cheddar cheese, lettuce, and diced peppers. All that being said, it's so easy I would love to make it again, and it's very tasty. My husband loved it. My husband ate two burritos at lunch and another two at dinner!
This was awesome!!! I made this for dinner one evening and my entire family loved it and have requested I make it again. thanks!!!
This was excellent!